Friday, March 2, 2012

Pie Safe to Art Cabinet

So a couple of weeks ago I was looking at the iheart organizing blog enjoying all of Jen's amazing organization skills.  Lo and behold she posted that she was going to do a DIY Pretty Project challenge.  I knew right away what I wanted to do, my pie safe.  I have had my pie safe for years and it has housed everything except for pies!  Ha!  Anyway, I had started keeping my kids art stuff back in it a few weeks ago.  I wanted it to pop a little more because it is brown all over.  Here is a before picture:



Yikes!  Disorganized and dull.  So, I had found some containers at The Dollar Tree and wanted to use them for this space.
    


The containers are bright but I wanted to do something to the pie safe without going to drastic.  I decided to buy some really bright pieces of scrapbook paper and tape them on the inside of the safe.  
This went okay but the paper was short in some spaces and I didn't want to have to cut and piece the paper onto the back.  I just didn't think it would look right.  
I cleaned out the cabinet first.  
Second I taped on the paper to the back inside of the safe.  I ended up using some duct tape because the tape I had wasn't working.  Don't judge, it worked!  
I placed everything back in the way I wanted it and found new homes for what didn't make it back inside.

Here is the after:


Much, much nicer!

It does have the pop I was looking for and when I get bored with the paper I can just switch it out with something else.  This project didn't cost me a whole lot.  The green and yellow bins were $4.00 and the paper was half off at Hobby Lobby.  So $3.00!  I had everything else already.  Pretty thrifty!

At the top is scrapbook paper, pencils and coloring books.

The first shelf is paint, glue, plates, markers, stickers and etc. art goodies.  The middle shelf are things to make bracelets, crayons, candles and popsicle sticks.

The last shelf is scrapbooking stuff and other things to be creative.  



Thanks so much for the challenge Jen!  I learn something new everytime I organize.  





IHeart Organizing

8 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! So cute! I just loved the striped backing and all the color! such a great job!! Newest follower here! And I linked up through Jen too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great!!! That paper makes it so fun!!! And how great you can change it out anytime!!!
    Art supplies are sometimes such a hard thing to keep organized. You nailed it!!!
    Newest follower!!!
    -U

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello--Stripes! i love you! You rocked this Rebecca! I love your pops of color-- like LOVE it! Nice job! You got me thinking now... thinking the boys bookcase needs some pop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Rebecca. Thanks for your comment about menu planning. I might use it in a future blog post on how menu planning works for others. Is that okay? Love your blog. Following you now ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a difference! Paper always makes a wow statement, but you did such a great job cleaning up the space and adding in great pops of color.

    Thanks so much for linking up and sharing!

    xxoo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting the pretty project party. I hope you do one again because that was great motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing Bec what a transformation....love the bright colours

    ReplyDelete